Wednesday, November 16, 2011

An Awakened American


Flickr/uhuru1701
As Americans, we’ve reached a point in our Country’s history where we find ourselves playing the “blame game.” One side blames the other, and vice versa, without anyone on either side getting to know the facts. A story always has three sides - yours, mine, and the truth. Obviously, these days, opinions have come to have more value than facts. It is because of this that we don’t act as friendly Americans anymore, but rather as enemies. 

Friends listen to one another; enemies shout. 

Friends encourage, while enemies inhibit. 

Friends find solutions; enemies create problems.

Friends take responsibility; enemies blame. 

Friends work towards what’s best for both, “Us;” enemies work for what’s best for one, “Me.”

Friends tell you how they can help you; enemies tell you you’re always wrong. 

Friends will hold your hand; enemies will point their finger at you.

Friends compromise; enemies always contest.

Friends love you, even when you disagree. Enemies hate you, even when you agree.

Friends forgive; enemies condemn.

I’m an Italian immigrant and have lived in America for over 40 years. I became an American citizen and consider myself an American. In Italy I was poor; America offered me opportunities I never had. Out of appreciation, I learned the mother language -- English. With respect, I obey the American laws. With pride in my Country, I wave the American flag. As a patriot, I love, revere, obey, and if ever called upon, would proudly serve the U.S.A. I will always recite and commemorate the Pledge of Allegiance, as it embodies what we as Americans truly are: “One Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for ‘ALL’.”

No comments: